Saturday, June 22, 2013

Module 2: Instructional Challenge

I believe the students in this text are proficient readers.  While they did make miscues during reading, their readings did not change the meaning therefore demonstrating comprehension. The readers made more dialect errors, not structure errors.  Ultimately the focus of reading is for comprehension.  If I were working with this group of students I would want to maintain my focus their comprehension skills.  I would monitor the students’ comprehension skills to make sure they are still retaining meaning.  I also think the students’ could benefit from activities that deal with grammar and more experiences with the teacher modeling appropriate ways to pronounce words and sentences.  This would help their grammar and schema for future readings and hopefully lead to less miscues.  

1 comment:

  1. The students in the text were proficient readers in my eyes. Event though they did have miscues in their reading, the students should have comprehended what was read. We should focus on comprehension skills with our students so that they will use those strategies to understand what they read. Good idea with the grammar activities. I didn't think of that idea.

    ReplyDelete