Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Module 2

Differentiated Instruction Presentation

Differentiated instruction is a way of thinking and planning to make all students successful in learning.  I believe differentiated instruction is necessary to reach all abilities of our students.  Not only does differentiated instruction involve planning meaningful lessons and activities for the students, but it involves planning an array of tasks that the students can choose from that would best fit their interest.  Some students may enjoy creating a hands on project like designing a model, while others may like to present their work through drama or poetry.  Providing multiple means for a student to express themselves gives the student an opportunity to choose a task that best fits their style, strength, and developmental level. 

The Story of Differentiation-Carol Ann Tomlinson

I thought this video was interesting in the learning about Carol Ann Tomlinson and her beginnings as an educator.  She had to figure out how to teach her students that were either highly above grade level or very below grade level.  She stated that teaching to the middle of the class would be least beneficial as well as teaching to just would one group would lead to completely ignoring the other group of students.  She talks about how using flexible grouping strategies really brings children together where they are able to work with other students that may be on a different level and have a different background but are still able to learn from one another.  I think using a flexible grouping strategy is necessary.  I like to change my groupings every week.  I am able to work with students that need extra help this way and students are able to work together and help each other.  Plus, students are not stuck in the same group throughout the entire year and they are able to develop relationships with their peers that they may not develop on their own.

Learning Theories

This presentation discussed approaches to problem solving.  One approach was called the 6 A’s.  The first step Awareness which is to understand that there is a problem.  Step 2- Ask questions. Step 3- Accessing gather information. Step 4 -Analyze the collected information. Step 5- application and resolving problems.  Step 6 Assessment.

Planning Strategic Reading Lesson

I thought that this PowerPoint was extremely helpful in my lesson planning and tutoring.  It discusses strategic reading as purposely grouped together students that will work on skills to improve reading fluency and comprehension.  This approach is teacher directed and involves carefully selected texts where that teachers exploration.  One important part to making this successful is the planning process.  Like most lessons, teachers need to think about the objectives and standards they want to cover as well as how they are going to assess the students.  I like that the students are mainly focusing on just one point/skill.  It makes it easier for them to accomplish the goal.  Also the students must know before they begin reading what the purpose of the activity is.  I feel that students like to know what is required of them and using this type of lesson will help the students remain focused on the task at hand.  I also think it is important to provide the students with rubrics or how their score will be calculated.  This will provide better motivation for the students and give them a measure of expectations.  When concluding the lesson it is necessary to provide ways to reinforce the concept from the lesson, through reflections, discussions, journaling, or self-evaluations.

Literacy Content Reading and Scaffolding

I feel that many children struggle with content area reading in subjects like social studies, science, and math, because many of the concepts taught in these texts are new and foreign to them.  They are also not very interested in reading about this topics so they lack motivation and interest.  The presentation discusses how using scaffolding will help students learn to the best of their abilities.  Scaffolding requires support before, during, and after reading.  It requires the teacher to analyze the text for readability, looking at the vocabulary, and the complexity of the text in order to see what prerequisites the students need in order to comprehend the text.   If the text is too challenging for the student the teacher must modify it or paraphrase it.  In order for students to have an understanding of content area texts, they must be able to identify main ideas, supporting details, and comprehend vocabulary.  Teaching strategies that can be utilized for content area texts include graphic organizers, guided reading, and writing to learn.  I really liked all of the strategies listed at the end of this presentation.  I am a very visual learner and I enjoy using graphic organizers with my students.  I’m always looking for new ideas that I can implement in my own classroom.

Bloom’s Taxonomy Wheel of Knowledge

The Bloom’s Taxonomy wheel was a good refresher.  It reminds me of the importance of asking good critical thinking questions rather than literal questions where there is always a right or wrong answer.  I think the wheel presents the information in a way that is easy to follow and understand.  I like how it uses action words for what the students should be doing and then has a final culmination activity/project.  It is nice to be reminded that a final project does not always have to be a test.  Teachers can gather information for assessments through other means as stated on this example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment