Friday, July 5, 2013
Module 4: Activity 2
Take a look at the NRP Report Summary:
http://www.nationalreadingpanel.org/Publications/summary.htm
and Allington's response:
http://www.hcd.hr/conference/key_allington_eng.pdf
Which NRP topic area(s) or missing pillar(s) that Allington describes do you find to be most vital for children's literacy success? Why?
After reviewing the websites, I think that the 5 pillars in phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension, the National Reading Panel set are important for students’ success in reading. All pillars can build up strengths for appropriate reading skills and I think all students should be exposed to them throughout their journey of learning how to read. I feel that one of the most important things for children to practice reading with books and text that they are interested in, as Allington said. I feel that children that are forced to read about topics that they do not enjoy takes the love out of reading. They look to reading as a chore and then they do not fully commit themselves to material. I believe that if children find a topic they love to read about they will want to read everything they can get their hands on about it, even if the text challenges them. I feel the second pillar that Allington stated is important as well. Children should not be taught subjects like science or social studies through material they cannot comprehend. The main goal is to read to understand. Teachers need to provide different leveled texts to students that are struggling in reading so they are able to derive meaning from the text.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment