Friday, July 12, 2013

Module 5: Instructional Challenge

As your school year starts, you realize that you have three ELLs who are newcomers to the United States. Discuss how a comprehensive literacy program addresses their needs, drawing attention to specific components of the framework that are particularly relevant. Then discuss any additional scaffolding you would offer to support these children's needs.

A comprehensive literacy program can be beneficial to ELL students. There are many strategies that can be incorporated into the program that can best fit all learners. In the scaffolding approach the first step is whole group instruction. I think that the ELL students would benefit from whole group instruction because they can listen during read alouds and shared reading experiences hearing spoken words and seeing the visual pictures. Also other lessons can be taught focusing on skills like word chucking or comprehension.

Next I would include the students in guided reading and small groups. Using flexible grouping during guided reading would give me an opportunity to work with ELL students and also other students that may need extra practice in a small group setting. I think that students learn from other students, whether through play and other social interactions, so I feel it is important to pair up ELL students with someone in the class. Together they can complete assignments, share reading together, or discuss comprehension. It builds vocabulary and increases their understanding.

From there I think individual conferences where I could evaluate and see where the student is at and possibly work with that student one on one. If I felt the student was lacking in a particular area I would offer extra tutoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment