Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Personal Model of Reading Theory

            If you ask a person to name something that everyone should learn how to do, their response will most likely be learn to read.  Reading is the most important skill a person will learn as it carries you throughout life.  Reading is fundamental to children’s development and they need it to become successful and productive adult.
            I believe that one of the most important parts of teaching students to read is to provide them with books on topics that they will enjoy.  Students are drawn to all different types of interests and teachers should encourage students to select books that they will find appealing.  Reading books you are interested in can lead to a love of reading that I think all learners should possess.
I think reading is not an exact method. It is a process of using all strategies of reading; predicting, monitoring comprehension, confirming, and clarifying, and that is what makes a proficient reader.  Reading is more than knowing the graphic/phonemic cues.  That is only a small part of reading comprehension.  I feel like the most important part of the reading process is understanding the syntax and semantics.  This course has taught me that just because a student miscues while reading does not mean that he/she is not a proficient reader.  Ultimately it depends on what type of miscue was made and if the miscue still retains the same meaning of the original context.  Even proficient readers make miscues as they may add or skip over words. 
Using a comprehensive literacy approach to teaching reading is very beneficial for students.  They receive exposure to so many different types of instruction.  Whether it is whole-class instruction, guided reading instruction, individual instruction, or extra tutoring help.  Through whole group instructions students experience read alouds and shared reading.  During this time I like to preview the book where I demonstrate book handling skills, read the title and author, draw attention to the cover and the illustrations inside the book.  This helps to build students’ schema and recall prior information learned.  It is a great way to help students with their comprehension as they already have an idea of what will come next in the story.  Shared reading experiences are also valuable to me because as we read stories time and time again, students will be able to participate more by choral reading, practicing word pronunciation, voice intonation, and noticing details they may not have seen before.  Guided reading instruction can benefit students as it gives them a chance to focus on a skill they may need extra practice with in a small group setting.  Holding reading conferences is an opportunity to not only assess the students’ progress but to get to know my students on an individual basis.    
            I think it is important for young students to build their knowledge of phonics and phonological awareness.  Phonics teaches students to quickly read unfamiliar words by decoding and recognizing letter patterns that in turn increases their fluency.  I would like to use an embedded approach in teaching phonics where the skills can be incorporated into children’s literature and not just taught explicitly on their own.  These skills also do not always have to be taught during reading time, they can be incorporated through the reading of other subjects as well as writing instruction.
            I feel that writing is also essential to teach as it goes hand and hand with reading.  So many writing skills are developed as students are introduced to new books and reading strategies.  I feel that writer’s workshop is an excellent technique for students to practice writing.  I would begin writer’s workshop by introducing a skill or topic through a mini lesson.  After the mini lesson, students can practice during independent writing time.  During this time I would also include individual writing conferences.  Once the students finish their writing, they will have the opportunity to share and read their own work to their classmates.

One thing that I have grown to believe is that every time students read something, does not mean that they need to complete an assignment on it.  Sometimes reading a book or text is just enough.  I do not want my students to feel like reading is a chore and think that if they read a book at school that they will have to answer questions and write a journal entry about it.  That would take all the love out of reading, which is something that I hope to instill upon my classes in years to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment