Friday, July 19, 2013

Module 6: Instructional Challenge



Next year, you will be teaching in a school where the vast majority of students did not meet standard on your state's criterion-referenced test and where more than 75% of the students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals. What are some specific universal literacy strategies you may implement to ensure students success? Include both in-class examples and things you could do outside the classroom.

 I think the students would benefit from a comprehensive literacy program.  Incorporating whole group, guided reading, conferences, and extra tutoring would give the students exposure to many different reading strategies.  Providing mini lessons on certain skills embedded in children’s literature.  I would try to make reading as fun as possible by using technology, playing skills games, reader’s theater, listening to stories on recording.  I would like to have a classroom library, with age and skill appropriate books for children to use during reading time.  Providing the students with a daily opportunity for sustained reading time is also important.  Students should have access to games or puzzles that promote literacy skills inside the classroom.  I would take my class to the school library as often as possible, where they would have time to explore and find possible books they are interested in.  I also would like to send home family literacy bags that have a story and activity to complete.  I would work with other teachers within my school to set up a family reading night where families can come to the school to learn about reading and to make literacy games that they can play later at home.  I think the students could also benefit from book buddies or pen pals.  I would work with my colleagues to set up a time that the students can read books and write letters to each other.  Also, I would encourage people within the community to volunteer their time and effort to read to the children whether in a whole group or individual setting.  The involvement with people from outside the classroom could influence and effect reading and literacy skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment